One conversation changed everything.
Our story began with two lawyers, both having trained at major law firms and both having worked long stints as Vice President, Legal with major companies. Joe and Rubsun were two over-achieving, over-wrought lawyers, working 100-hour+ /a week. They wanted to continue doing what they were passionate about – helping businesses solve their legal issues – yet they both understood that they needed to re-imagine the legal services industry in order to do so. The light bulb came on and Cognition LLP was born. It flourishes for many years before becoming Caravel Law in 2016 following an exciting transaction.
In January 2016, Cognition LLP announced the reorganization of its business to align more specifically to its two primary customer lines: larger corporations with legal departments (General Counsel Clients) and small/medium enterprises without in-house legal counsel (SME Clients). Axiom Cognition focuses on Canadian General Counsel Clients and Caravel Law, concentrates on SME, Start-Up and high growth Clients. Both Axiom Cognition and Caravel share the mission of providing innovative, cost effective legal services and technology-enabled solutions to their respective client bases.
Whether a company retains a traditional law firm or hires full-time, for most start-ups and smaller companies who need to make every dollar count these options are just too expensive. For many, legal advice is too remote, and too theoretical to be of any practical business value.
Working with Caravel Law saves the average business tens of thousands of dollars each year. None of the money spent goes towards pinstripe suits, imported stogies or corporate jets. Rather, we maintain a small staff and a modest office space so that we can pass along the savings to our clients.
To learn more about Caravel Law’s Charter Values, click through the link.
Recent Work by Cognition LLP / Caravel Law
- Led the sale of all shares of a Canadian software company to an international telecommunications technology provider.
- Led the sale of all shares of a Canadian financial analytics company to an international financial information company.
- Represented the creditor in a secured loan to a mobile strategy development company.
- Represented the debtor in a $20 million secured debt facility from an international financial institution.
- Represented private software application development company in US$4 million sale of all its shares.
- Acted for selling shareholders/directors in a $12 million combined management buy-out and third-party purchase of a technology company.
- Represented a private merchant bank in numerous secured debt financings to various debtors in North America in an aggregate amount of $16.9 million.
- Represented private software company in arranging $1.5 million secured debt financing from Business Development Canada.
- Drafted online terms of service for a technology company providing map location services for cell phone users.
- Advised on the availability for use and registration of a new brand in the food services industry.
- Led a multi-tranche $3 million foreign equity investment on behalf of the Canadian multi-media start-up issuer.
- Led a $2 million preferred share investment from public and private (including venture money) investors on behalf of one of Canada’s first B-Corps.
- Led a cross-Atlantic acquisition by a Canadian manage-ment consulting firm of a London-based consulting business.
- Advised several start-up and SME businesses through equity and debt initial and pre-IPO capitalizations to product/service launch.
- Negotiated the license of client’s ticketing technology to the largest owner/operator of theatres in the United Kingdom.